Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Frying Pans, Who Knew, Right?


When you see someone doing something you don’t want them to, when you really REALLY need to get their attention, when they’re as dumb as a post and nothing else is going to make them stop what they’re doing, what do you use?
Well, okay, honestly we all know one smack from one of those would cause permanent brain damage and they probably wouldn’t remember you, BUT.  You get the drift. 
Ever had one of those experiences where a truth from God hits you so hard it knocks you on your backside?  A friend of mine calls them Spiritual Frying Pan Moments.  I think its appropriate. 
I had an especially staggering one last weekend.  It’s still smarting a bit.  One of those ones where you realize you’ve been going about something wrong for YEARS, the ones that result in a complete paradigm shift because you know the only way to correct your mistake is to turn totally around.
I’ve known I’m destined to be a musician for years.  Those of you who know me know it’s a dream, a calling, and an eventual career.  Southern Gospel music is what I grew up on and it’s what I love.  But even as I’ve worked at it, dreamed of it, and prayed for it; there’s always been a nagging thought at the back of my mind that has prevented me from giving my whole heart to it: “A song?  God, look at the world.  Look at it!  People dying, getting sick, hurting; they’re afraid, the world is twisted and evil and horrifying.  I want to help, and you want me to SING a SONG?  How exactly does that change the world??”
Yes, in response to your gasps of horror, I did in fact BERATE the creator of the universe.  I also feel really stupid about it.  Just for the record.  But He’s forgiven me, so should you. 
My point is, I realized the other night just HOW wrong I was, not only to question my Heavenly Father, who knows everything; but how wrong I was about music.  I’ve always been incredibly encouraged by gospel concerts, they remind me who I am, call out the best of me—the musician and the Christian.  But I always attributed that to the fact that I’m weird, figured that wasn’t the case for anyone else.  For the first time Friday night, I saw what gospel music does for OTHER people.
and I
The same thing it does for me.
I saw people who were hurting laugh.  People who were broken smile.  Families who were otherwise splintered singing together.  I saw old and young people respond to the music, the humor, and the ministry the same way: hungrily.  People—even Christians—NEED to know they’re not alone.  They NEED to laugh, to be encouraged, to be reminded that even though the world is harsh, God is still in control.
And God has asked ME to be one to tell them.
What an honor. 
If you take nothing away from this post, please take this: if God has given you a talent, asked you to do something, rest assured it is meaningful.  You may not be the superhero, running around in a cape and tights (or more realistically, a uniform of some kind) saving people’s literal lives.  You may not be a powerful politician writing legislation.  You may not be a rich company owner, able to donate money to worthy causes.  It doesn’t matter.  God needs everyday people to work in areas that don’t seem important but really are. 

You are important.  What God has called you to do is IMPORTANT.  You’re an irreplaceable part of His plan.  Don’t waste years wondering like I have.  Throw yourself into His work with all your heart, and make the difference He has created you for!

No comments:

Post a Comment